The Creative Commons organization is a non-profit that:
provides free, easy-to-use copyright licenses to make a simple and standardized way to give the public permission to share and use your creative work–on conditions of your choice.
What this means for web developers and designers is:
- a wealth of high quality content
- available mostly free of charge
Just be sure to adhere to the licensing conditions specified by the artist or contributor, which often means including
- not making changes to the original
- only using the image for personal or non-profit uses.
You can use the Creative Commons search tool to find:
- Other Media
You can also specify how restrictive the license is for your use, by finding stuff you can:
- use for commercial purposes
- modify, adapt, or build upon